AFT, NEA: Arming Educators Won’t Keep Schools Safe Focus Needs to Be on Investments in Mental Health Services, Reasonable Gun Safety Legislation WASHINGTON—NEA President Dennis Van Roekel and AFT President Randi Weingarten react to proposals by Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, U.S. Rep. Louie Gohmert, and William Bennett to arm teachers as a way to prevent school violence.
Seventy-eight Texas school districts either have failed to submit state-mandated safety plans in the event of a mass shooting or have filed ones that are too incomplete to be useful, Attorney General Greg Abbott said on Dec. 17.
In the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting, the Montgomery County Board of Education called an emergency meeting today to address safety measures and security upgrades at the 55 schools in its system.
A group that advocates for pro-gun, state legislation said Wednesday guns should be allowed in Arizona public schools to provide protection against shootings such as the one in Connecticut.
President Obama has tasked Vice President Joe Biden with coordinating the administration’s response to the deadly massacre in Newtown, Conn., last week.
Dear School Leader: Like everyone, we were shocked and saddened by last week's school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. We're sure that you share our sympathy for those affected by this tragedy, as well as a desire to ensure that parents understand what they can do to support school safety.
There are no classes Monday at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. and officials aren’t sure if the school will ever reopen.
A worker who turned on the intercom, alerting others in the building that something was very wrong. A custodian who risked his life by running through the halls warning of danger. A clerk who led 18 children on their hands and knees to safety, then gave them paper and crayons to keep them calm and quiet.
One dressed up in goofy costumes to make her students smile.
Schools around the country are reviewing security plans, adding extra law enforcement patrols and readying counselors for the first day of classes since a shooting massacre at an elementary school in Connecticut.
Update: The hearing scheduled for Nov. 28 on Andrea Hernandez's request to stay at John Jay High School was cancelled, after Northside ISD filed a motion to move the case from state to federal court. The district issued the following statement: "Since the Jay High School student and her father are alleging a violation of the student's federal constitutional rights, Northside ISD asked that the case be heard in federal court. The case scheduled to be heard today in State court has been canceled and now will rest with a Federal judge to make a ruling.