ASCD, a global community dedicated to excellence in learning, teaching, and leading, is pleased to offer five new online professional development courses for educators. The courses are available as part of ASCD’s award-winning PD Online, a system designed to provide high-quality instructional and job-embedded applications to address individual and group professional development needs. More information on PD Online and the full catalog of available courses can be found at www.ascd.org/pdonline.
“ASCD is proud to offer a wide range of engaging, convenient, and expert-designed online professional development courses for today’s educators,” said Judy Seltz, Acting Executive Director of ASCD. “The newest PD Online courses focus on critical 21st century issues — educational technology, STEM education, and the Common Core standards — and are designed for interactive, self-paced professional learning.”
Each PD Online course is priced at $129 and features six lessons that introduce users to instructional concepts, demonstrate best practices, and provide job-embedded applications educators can implement in their current positions. Users can revisit content and videos an unlimited number of times. The newest PD Online courses are:
- The Common Core: Teaching Argumentative Writing and Speaking (Grades 6-12) (Available June 27)— Educators will gain a solid understanding of why argumentative literacy comprises crucial skills students need for college and career, and be able to show their students how to analyze and use argument effectively in their reading, writing, and speaking.
- Blended Learning: An Introduction—This course reviews various blended learning models, with particular attention to the “flipped classroom” method. According to author Catlin Tucker, this environment helps teachers weave online and face-to-face experiences so that maximum learning occurs. Tucker guides users through online community building exercises necessary for students to enjoy successful online experiences, explains the importance of asking good questions that elicit critical thinking from students, and describes appropriate assessments for this blended learning model.
- STEM for All—This course presents a case for integrating science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) into the curriculum and cocurricular activities at each grade level, and offers examples of successful implementation that educators can adapt to their own school environments. Instead of focusing on math and science classrooms, educators will learn how to integrate STEM broadly across curricula to ensure that it reaches all students, including those who are presently underrepresented in STEM-based careers.
- Engaging Students in Math Practices—The Mathematics Practice section of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) help educators ensure that learners at all grade levels reach determined levels of expertise in mathematics. This course reviews the eight mathematics practice standards and encourages teachers to creatively implement each standard into their classroom while aligning their practices with the CCSS.
- Common Core and Literacy Strategies: English Language Arts, 2nd Edition—In this course, educators explore the CCSS approach to literacy, with a new emphasis on critical thinking skills in science supplemented by video examples and in-depth readings, and review downloadable applications that will help them develop methods for putting the standards to work in the classroom. The second edition of this course also reviews literacy strategies in the English language arts classroom for grades 6 through 12.
For additional information on all of ASCD's professional development solutions, visit www.ascd.org/pd. To learn about ASCD’s on-demand PD In Focus platform, visit www.ascd.org/pdinfocus. You can also learn about ASCD's other programs, products, services, and memberships at www.ascd.org.
ASCD is a global community dedicated to excellence in learning, teaching, and leading. Comprising 140,000 members—superintendents, principals, teachers, and advocates from more than 138 countries—the ASCD community also includes 56 affiliate organizations. ASCD's innovative solutions promote the success of each child. To learn more about how ASCD supports educators as they learn, teach, and lead, visit www.ascd.org.