ASCD is pleased to announce the release of a new PD In Focus® channel for educators, titled “School Culture and Climate: Addressing Bullying.” The PD In Focus online application is an award-winning, cost-effective, web-based professional development tool from ASCD that provides hundreds of hours of highly effective videos, related resources, activities, and insight from some of the most important voices in education today.
“Eliminating bullying is one element of creating a safe school climate, and ASCD’s resources help educators create an environment that is emotionally safe for students and adults,” said Dr. Gene R Carter, CEO and Executive Director of ASCD. “Students should feel valued, respected, and cared for by school routines that teach students how to manage their behavior and help students improve problem behavior. ASCD is pleased to be able to assist educators improve school climate and student success.”
Visit the new PD In Focus School Culture and Climate channel to see how one school decided to stand up to bullying and what they’ve done to create a safe, nurturing, and learning environment for everyone. Scenes show how educators use coordinating committees, student survey data, and classroom discussions to stay on top of real and potential bullying situations. Interviews provide insight into how to develop schoolwide awareness of how to recognize and respond to bullying.
In addition to the new PD In Focus channel, ASCD also provides a variety of resources on bullying, including
- A PD Online® professional development course Bullying: Taking Charge, 2nd Edition, in which users will learn practical tools for confronting and preventing bullying. The course features video examples, in-depth readings, and problem-solving scenarios.
- Special Edition Policy Priorities newsletter on cyberbullying curriculum and prevention resources, which includes a special infographic titled “Cyberbullying Legislation by State.”
- How to Stop Bullying edition of ASCD Express () that discusses bullying, how it affects students, and advice on how to prevent harassment and create a safe and comfortable learning environment.
- Experts from organizations like the National School Climate Center and the U.S. Department of Education share blog posts and other resources that address bullying in the classroom on the Whole Child Blog. ASCD’s website also provides a list of school climate resources under the “Research a Topic” section.
- The September 2011 issue of Educational Leadership, “Promoting Respectful Schools,” features articles on bullying, school climate, and preventing hate language. ASCD has also published a variety of books for educators on the topic of bullying:
- Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions, 3rd Edition by Richard L. Curwin, Allen N. Mendler, and Brian D. Mendler
- Bullying and Harassment: A Legal Guide for Educators by Kathleen Conn
- The Educator's Guide to Preventing and Solving Discipline Problems by Mark Boynton and Christine Boynton
- The Educator's Guide to Assessing and Improving School Discipline Programs by Mark Boynton and Christine Boynton
- The Respectful School: How Educators and Students Can Conquer Hate and Harassment Stephen L. Wessler, with contributing author William Preble
For more information on ASCD’s programs, products, and services, or to join, visit www.ascd.org.