The state intends to allocate $21 million in a second round of grants designed to improve school security, and this time will allow private and parochial schools to apply for the money, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Thursday.
Last year, the program disbursed $21 million to 604 public schools in 111 school systems across Connecticut to improve school security in the wake of the Dec. 2012 shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
"The events that took place at the Sandy Hook School in Newtown are still very much with us," Malloy said at a press conference. "We have increased services for the mentally ill, we implemented the [Affordable Care Act], or Obamacare, better than any other state, in part because I understood where there were dollars for better mental health care. We responded by rewriting some the toughest gun laws in the country."