Deadline is Friday for Parents to Seek School Vouchers Under New State Program

Judy Hartnett's picture
Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Parents have until Friday to submit applications for school transfers under Louisiana's new voucher program. State Department of Education officials report that they have received more applications than they expected, topping 6,000.

State Superintendent John White said in a statement that the number is rising. "We've heard from a number of schools who are receiving applications faster than they can enter them in online," he said.

The Education Department continues working with schools on solidifying the eligibility rules for campuses to join the program. Once that is finished, they will be able to clarify the number of available seats. Officials plan to conduct a lottery in July to place students in schools with more applicants than open spots. Families will learn the lottery results by the end of July.

Out of about 120 schools participating so far, 24 are in Orleans Parish, 14 are in Jefferson Parish, five are in St. John Parish, five are in St. Tammany parish, two are in St. Charles Parish and one is in St. Bernard Parish. The Education Department has posted how many seats are open at each site.

Read more »