A federal investigator says Mesa Public Schools has corrected problems that led to a highly allergic fourth-grader’s repeated exposure to peanuts in a classroom last spring.
Mesa resident April Mahaffey filed a complaint with the civil-rights division of the U.S. Department of Education in April after she removed her son from Adams Elementary School.
She said she had to take her son to the hospital after he was exposed to “peanut residue” on desks left by an after-school program. Later, the boy’s teacher ate a peanut candy bar in his classroom.
The boy’s allergies are so severe that he can suffer potentially fatal anaphylactic shock if he is near peanuts or tree nuts, Mahaffey said.