In an unprecedented move, the State Board of Education voted 18-0 today to halt the release of Ohio’s school report cards next week because of an ongoing student-data scandal.
The release had been scheduled for Aug. 29 but has been pushed back until the board meets in September and can discuss the matter again.
Even then, there’s no guarantee that the state will release the school data. It’s possible that State Auditor Dave Yost, whose office is conducting the statewide investigation into whether schools tampered with student-attendance data, won’t have findings to report by then. He has said he hopes to close his investigation this fall.
“We’ll cross that bridge when it happens,” Acting Superintendent Michael Sawyers said about the possibility that the report cards could be delayed beyond September.