Two construction projects approved for Concord, N.C., district

Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Cabarrus County Board of Education approved the $15.5 million for the Mount Pleasant Middle School replacement and $16 million for a new elementary school in the northwest area of the county in capital outlay funding during its business meeting on Monday. The vote was 5-0, and Vice Chairman Barry Shoemaker and board member Carolyn Carpenter were not at the meeting.

During last week’s work session, board members discussed whether or not they should approve the funding from the county commissioners for the replacement school, since they have said there is a significant gap between the estimated cost and the amount funded. Administrators for the school system and board members have said the new elementary school would cost about $19.5 million and the Mount Pleasant replacement school would cost $22 million.

Chairman Blake Kiger said this week that he believed the board needed to go ahead and approve the funding. He said the board has told the commissioners that the funding is not enough several times.

Read more »