Historic Washington D.C. school transforms into charter
The renovated KIPP DC Douglass Campus houses more than 1,000 charter students in grades preK-12 in a state-of-the-art facility that retains the building’s original character.
The former District of Columbia public school building was constructed in 1950 as a segregated public school. To accommodate the wide age range of its students, the 147,000-square-foot building has multiple entrances and walking routes for students.
Studio Twenty Seven, an architectural studio that has worked on inner city public charter schools, finished renovating the structure in 2010, adding advanced science and technology laboratories, a 500-seat auditorium, and a turf athletic field.