How Well Does This Website Work?
The Glen Cove (N.Y.) School District is composed of six schools serving some 2,900 students. The district employs 270 teachers.
The design of this site is text-heavy, with a somewhat inefficient use of space. On the home page, in particular, there are few graphics used to break up the textual information. The home page has sections dedicated to news, board meetings and useful links. The district logo (which runs The design of this site is text-heavy, with a somewhat inefficient use of space. On the home page, in particular, there are few graphics used to break up the textual information. The home page has sections dedicated to news, board meetings and useful links. across the top of the main district site pages) does not offer a direct link back to the main home page, but a "District" link, located at the far left on the top navigation bar, does serve that purpose.
Individual sites for the high school and middle school share the same site design, as do the sites for the elementary schools.
The consistent top navigation bar features links to the main district home page and for each of the schools in the district. A left-hand navigation box contains 17 selections, including "Board of Education," "District Information," "FAQs," "Teachers' Center," "Students' Center," "Superintendent's Message" and more. A few of these nav box labels are a bit vague and redundant (for example, "Teaching and Learning" and "Student Gallery" listed alongside "Curriculum, Instruction and Technology" and "Fine and Performing Arts") and could benefit from a bit more specificity and some consolidation.
There is no search functionality provided on this site, nor is a site map available.
There is an abundance of helpful and relevant content directed at a wide range of site constituents. With the emphasis on textual information, broken up by few graphical elements, some of the site's pages can appear daunting to browse through.
This site is not optimized for use by disabled visitors.
The "Parents and Community" section offers a wealth of information, with areas dedicated to parent resources, community links and phone numbers, auxiliary school organizations, online resources, and consumer resources. The "Students' Center" has an interesting array of external links to other sites of interest, categorized under "Extra Help," "SAT Prep," "College" and "Career."
The "Physical Education, Health and Athletics" section boasts exceptionally complete and useful content and links for any site visitor interested in these areas.
A central administration contact directory is offered (with phone numbers, position titles and e-mail addresses), and each individual school site has its own contact directory as well. The main office's street address and phone number are presented at the bottom of almost all site pages.
Use of Online Technology
- An "eLibrary" (online library resources) is available, with an online database, citation guides and other helpful reference information.
- Access is provided to those authorized to use the district's intranet and Web mail.
- Cable TV and Internet radio coverage of various school events is offered.
- The "PowerSchool Parent Portal" provides online access to student class schedules and attendance information.
- Links to teacher Web sites are provided from each of the individual school's home pages.
- The "Employment Opportunities" section is linked to an online application system.
- Up-to-Date Information
- Most of the content offered on this site is fresh and current. The calendar of events appears to be up to date, although it is presented in PDF format rather than via an interactive interface.
Laura R. Bona is a contributing writer for District Administration. To nominate your district for a site review, contact Editor in Chief Judy Hartnett at jhartnett@ districtadministration.com.