A look at some of the STEM projects rural students participate in:
Graham Local Schools (Ohio)
- Trout in the classroom: Fourth- and fifth-graders hatch and release trout, learn how to protect fish, run a sustainable food business and operate an environmentally friendly fishery.
- Falcon Farms: Middle and high school students grow corn and soybeans on a district-run sustainable farm.
LINK TO MAIN STORY: STEM for small-town schools
Winfield City Schools (Alabama)
- Student spaceflight experiments: Seventh-graders won a NASA competition to design an experiment for astronauts aboard the International Space Station. The project seeks to determine whether the ubiquitous Southern kudzu vine can germinate in microgravity.
- Internet coffee shop: High school business students run a coffee shop that offers customers internet access.
Putnam County School District (Florida)
- Bicycle club: Middle school students learn STEM concepts as they assemble bicycles.
- Web Krewe: High school students learn coding while they create a website for a local nonprofit.
Deborah Yaffe is a freelance writer in New Jersey.